Sunday, September 19, 2010

happy birthday to me!

I realize this is five days after my actual birthday, but today was my birthday celebration, so I figured I'd write about everything at once.

The actual day:
I spent the 13th with my family. My mum, sister and I went out for a casual drive around Vancouver. We went to the Lonsdale Quay for lunch and bought some fudge and caramels at the sweet shop around the corner. Then my parents, sister, Opa and I went out for dinner at Olive Garden. We had a huge meal and loads of dessert. There were lots of jokes and all around good time family fun. I ordered my very first legal drink. A wild berry bellini. Which I drank a few small sips of, then passed it off to my family members. I'm not much of a drinker. I don't exactly care for the taste of alcohol. The waitress brought dessert with a candle in it, but I unthinkingly blew it out before we sang... It was awkward. So, we stuck a candle in a doughnut when we got home and did our singing there. It was a trick candle. Hilarity ensued.

Last night:
Instead of going drinking because I'm legal age, I chose to go to a comedy club. Something only available to those 19+ but doesn't involve the typical partying. It was so much fun. Myself and three friends went to dinner then straight to the show. The comics were hilarious. Especially the headliner. She was the winner of Last Comic Standing, apparently, and was here for the comedy festival. Hm. Anyways. It was a great night out with some great people. I laughed so hard, you don't even know.

Today:
This was simply amazing. I have to start off by saying that I have the most amazing friends in the world. Seriously. They planned me a full on scavenger hunt and surprise party! And I completely didn't see it coming! I mean, I noticed some suspicious behavior throughout the day, but I really didn't put the pieces together until the very end. A split second too late, as I stood in the doorway while they yelled "Surprise!", not even in the same room yet. The little gears in my head were too busy turning to set foot in the house. Trying to sort out why my friends were diving behind couches, as if I couldn't see them hiding there. My brain went from "Huh, they did this before when Fana arrived..." to "I wondered why Krista and Claire left earlier..." to "Yeah, it seemed odd that Fana would get lost in her home town..." to "WHOA WAIT SHIT, I SHOULD GO INSIDE." but by that time they'd already jumped out from their hiding places and balloons were suddenly littering the floor. I'm still kicking myself for being just that little bit slow on the uptake. But hey, it's the thought that counts, right? Hah. Anywhoo! The rest of the night was spent eating tasty goodies (greek food, junk food and pie! my favourite!), dancing like tools in the living room and even watching my favourite show, Pushing Daisies. Oh yes, and there was a good game of Twister in there, too! It was all just so well planned and put together. And so sneaky! I can't believe it! It really was a sweet gesture. Nobody has ever done something like that for me before. I had so much fun dancing and joking and just hanging out with some of the greatest people around. I am so truly blessed to have these amazing people in my life. I'm getting all misty eyed just thinking about it. I'm not even joking. I'm honestly close to tears right now. You are all so amazing and I wish I could do something even half as spectacular to show you how much I really appreciate everything you did.

I'm trying to proofread this entry, but my eyes are going blurry. I think I'm a little too tired to be stressing about punctuation. Off to bed I go!

1 comment:

  1. i am thouroughly enthused that you enjoyed yourself chum :) i'd do it again, no questions asked!

    ReplyDelete