Monday, December 13, 2010

I hate hospitals.

The past few days have been pretty rough, although I'd like to think I've maintained a reasonable amount of composure.

My dad has been in hospital since Saturday afternoon and is staying there again tonight. Doctors aren't sure what's wrong, but he's been violently ill and severely dehydrated. They think it may be some type of infection. He's undergone several tests and is in for a few more tomorrow. He's hooked up to an IV to get some fluids into his system and he can barely eat. When not at the hospital visiting with him, I've either been at work or at home trying to keep my mind preoccupied and distracted so I don't stress out too much. It's not working.

Tonight I went to see him and it was one of the scariest moments of my life. It's terrifying to see my big, strong dad looking so weak and tired and hooked up to machines. I'm not telling you this because I want sympathy, but more because I just need a place to talk about it. I plan on visiting him again tomorrow, but I find it very difficult to be inside a hospital. It brings back a lot of awful memories.

He's doing a little better today, but they don't seem hopeful that he'll be coming home just yet. If they sort out what's wrong tomorrow, they might be able to give him the proper treatment and send him on his way. But for now they can only treat the symptoms, not the illness.

Thank you to everyone who has sent their well wishes so far, it's great to have your love and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment