Friday, December 24, 2010

Christmas is the greatest

I just got home from Christmas dinner with my family. We do it on Christmas Eve because that is traditional in Denmark and my mum's side of the family is Danish. However, we still open presents on Christmas morning, as my dad is from England.

It was a hilariously wonderful night, full of song and laughter, joy and good conversation. My family are a great bunch to be around, and though I sometimes feel my ears are exploding from how immensely loud we get, I simply love any chance I get to spend with them all. (although, we were missing a few this year, due to circumstance. :O and since Janna was in hospital (after just having a baby) we had no one to ceremoniously stick something up their nose!) ((I know, we've got some strange traditions in my family...))
I just love Christmas and all our wacky antics and family traditions.

Christmas dinner with my family does not involve turkey. We eat duck. And a special rice pudding, called ris ala mande, for dessert. And dessert involves a game. Whoever finds the almond in their bowl of rice pudding wins the chocolate prize. Of course, there are rules.
1. No stirring or mixing of the serving bowl!
2. No spoons may enter the bowls or mouths until everyone is ready.
and 3. If you find the almond, be coy and wait to see how long it takes the rest of the table to notice that you've got it.
This year, my dad won :)

After dinner and dessert, we then sing carols from our little song books. Everyone gets a chance to choose a song to sing and we end on 12 Days of Christmas, a competition between two sides of the table. One side gets odds, one side gets evens and it's a fight to the death for who can sing the loudest and essentially be the most obnoxious. Oh yes, and of course we have to stand up and down on our alternating turns. Such fun!

And now I'm home and it's bedtime. My sister and I have just opened our new Christmas Eve pajamas (another tradition) and I will soon be climbing into bed, snuggly and warm, with fleecy pink monkeys on my legs.

I hope you all are having a wondrous Christmas! Or whatever holiday you may (or may not) be celebrating. It's likely I will post tomorrow about things. Perhaps make a video about my hoard of stuff ;)

Goodnight all!

No comments:

Post a Comment