Saturday, March 20, 2010

Awkward encounters

Yesterday, I went downtown to pick up my pay checks, measly as they may have been.
As I turned the corner onto the street of the building, I nearly ran face first into a man, who appeared to be very dirty and very homeless.
I swerved and carried on, he however shouted "HI!" then when I didn't respond said "You don't say hi anymore?"
By this point I had taken out my cell phone and proceeded to make a fake phone call, to appear busy and important.
The grungy, smelly man then followed me halfway down the street, waved in my face and said "Hello!"
Startled because I didn't realize he had been following me, I said "Oh... hi."
He then asked "How's the baby?"
Now, there are two things very wrong with this question.
The first? I don't have a baby.
The second? I do not know this man.
WTF.
Confused, flustered and slightly scared, I said "Oh she's fine. But I really have to go, I'm sorry."
Then I pointed at my phone to imply how very busy I was and took off at a sprint down the rest of the street, and breathed a sigh of relief when I entered the building I needed and looked behind me to see he had turned back around and gone the other direction.
Akward encounter.
Then today at work, I had a man come up to the ice cream counter and order his small mint chocolate chip in a cup by grunting, pointing at the picture of the flavour he wanted and nodding when I said the word "cup."
Then he paid by pulling out an obscene amount of coinage from his pocket, offering up his hand and making me pluck out the coins he needed.
Creepy, weird and gross.
Awkward encounter.

On the bright side, I brought home an absolute feast, a banquet of delicious goodies from work today.
When the apples get too old to sell, but not old enough to toss, we slice them up for sampling.
Any leftovers either go home with the staff, or in the bin.
Today, we had a lot of leftovers.
So, I got to take home a total of six caramel apples of varying types (tigerbutter, smarties, sprinkles, gummy bears, one in the shape of a bunny face, and plain) as well as four chocolate covered strawberries, because they too would have ended up in the trash tomorrow morning.
My sister was very very pleased. (every time I go to work, she asks me to bring her home an apple. I never do. Today, I brought her six.)
When I got home, we sliced 'em all up, stuck 'em on a couple of plates and sat down together as a family, watched a movie and enjoyed a smörgåsbord of apple delights.
Ahhh, it was a good day...

No comments:

Post a Comment