Wednesday, February 9, 2011

comfortable silences, giggles and good tunes.

I have some amazing friends in my life and for that I am blessed. The past couple days have been amazing and it's nice to know I have true friends to turn to when I need them.

I've just been thinking about friendship lately. Actually, it's something I think about quite often. The different types of friendships, the layers of friendships, the complications of friendships. I think there are many kinds of friends.
I'm a true believer in the phrase

"Friends for a reason, friends for a season, friends for life."

There are the friends who are there for a time, to teach you something, to show you something you've never seen, do with you the things you've never done before. They teach you their lesson and you remember it forever. These are the friends that shape you, change you, form you, in whatever way. Friends for a reason.

There are the types of friends with whom you share an inexplicable, sudden and strong bond with, but are only around for a short time. These are the friends you have something in common with and it brings you together, but when that common bond is lost, often times, so is the friendship. And it's a blast to have these types of friends. The ones you think back on and think, "Wow, that was a great.." summer or year or week or whatever. Friends for a season.

And then there are the friends who you turn to when something major happens. The friends you text just because you feel like it. The ones you want to share everything with and you feel perfectly comfortable doing so. The friends who understand your personal boundaries and you theirs. The friends who you can spend nearly 24 hours straight with, and somehow, you don't want to kill each other. The friends you can sit in comfortable silence with for lengthy periods of time, nothing to say, nothing needed to be said. Friends for life.

And I think there are many friends in between. There are the friends you're only friends with out of obligation (ie. your parents are friends or you've known each other so long it seems strange not to be), there are the friends you go to when you need a good laugh or some cheering up, there are the friends who are only really your friends in specific situations (ie. in high school, the kids you were only friends with when you were in *insert class here* but barely spoke to outside of that), the ones who you rarely see but always know you can count on, the ones who you have nothing in common with but somehow still manage to forge a friendship, the friends who you fight with more than you laugh with, the ones you can go forever without seeing and yet it feels like no time has passed when you meet again. And endless amounts more.

I don't know if I believe in the idea of a "Best Friend" simply because it's hard for one person to fully encompass all of the things these many different people provide. There have been times in my life, as recently as last week, when I have thought "Yes, definitely. So and so is my best. friend." But I also sometimes feel in a lot of ways that is an immature way of thinking of it. Why must a person have one best friend? Sure, the idea of it seems desirable, and it's certainly portrayed enough in the media that this is the norm. But isn't it possible for a person to have more than one "best friend" and a few good friends or close friends or whatever else?

I think every friend serves a different purpose in your life and you should love and respect them equally for who they are and what they have to offer.

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe I'm tired (because, I mean, it is past one o'clock in the morning) but this is how I feel. And I may change my mind, because I tend to do that. This really wasn't what I had come on here to say initially, but I'll go with it. What I really wanted to say was that I had a really lovely night with a really good friend and that I thoroughly enjoy those comfortable silences and listening to a really good playlist. But I went on a bit of a ramble here that I've kind of been sitting on for quite some time, though I may have posted about this before... Anyways. I in no way intend for this to be hurtful to anyone, so if you think I am speaking about you somewhere in here in a negative way, I can assure you that is not my intent and I do not devalue any friendships I have had in my life time. I treasure and value every and all of them and I hope you believe that.
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment